By: Amy Cheung 插畫：GoGo
Dentists are qualified medical practitioners who provide advice and treatments to patients about their teeth. A dentist fixes problems with teeth and gum. He fills cavities, gives dental fillings, pulls teeth and fixes broken teeth. He also cleans teeth and gives advice on how to take care of them properly. A dentist needs a dental assistant to help him perform his job efficiently and effectively.
1) Which TWO of the following are usually NOT the job of a dentist in his dental office or clinic?
a) check-up of teeth and gum
b) take X-rays of teeth
c) advise patients for further treatment
d) keep track records of patients
_________ and _________
2) Normally, how many teeth does a healthy adult have?
3) Which of the following is a commercial product for cleaning your teeth?
c) dental floss
4) When did you last visit a dentist?_________________
Answers to September issue
1) Four styles: breast strokes, butterfly strokes, back strokes and freestyle
God blessed them...Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”(Genesis 1:28)
A bookshop assistant helps the owner or manager in the day-to-day running of the bookshop. He helps in the purchase of new publications and products including magazines , stationery and souvenirs. He answers enquiries about prices, stock availability, new arrivals, or even recommendations. He has to be good at display and stock control, too. And most importantly, he should best be a book lover in order to be passionate about his job.
1) Apart from books and magazines, can you write two more things that you can buy in a bookshop?
2) Which of the following is not the name of a bookshop ( not limited to Hong Kong)?
- a) Indigo
- b) Waterstones
- c) Amazon
- d) H&M
3) Can a bookshop assistant help customers to copy a whole book in the shop?
Yes or No: _________
4) What is the name of the book or magazine that you last bought at a bookshop?
Answers to July issue
3) An example is electronic publishing
4) c and d
“And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is My disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.” (Matthew 10:42)
Every restaurant needs waiters to provide services to customers. A waiter has to handle reservations, take and follow up on orders, delivers food and drinks, and handle payments of customers. Most waiters need to wear uniform when they are on duty. There are many kinds of restaurants which have different service requirements, but most need their waiters to be clean, polite, patient and hardworking. They also have to be especially efficient during peak hours of the day.
1) What do we call a female waiter?
w_ _t_ _ _ s
2) Another way of saying "food and drink" is "food and _______"
- a) wine
- b) cake
- c) soup
- d) beverages
3) Apart from Chinese restaurants, can you name one more type of restaurants?
4) Which of the following is NOT a job duty of a waiter?
- a) recommend customers on what to order
- b) carry trays
- c) dance with customers
- d) clean up the tables
Answers to May issue
2) An example is the water park
3) a) baton
...beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand... (Matthew 14:30-31)
A lifeguard looks after the safety of people who are participating in water sports or playing games inside or around a defined area such as a beach, a lake or a swimming pool. A lifeguard is well-trained in carrying out rescues and giving first aid when there are accidents. However, it is important for lifeguards to anticipate problems or dangers and prevent them from happening in the first place.
1) Please find a word in the text which means "taking place".
2) Apart from beaches, lakes and swimming pools, can you write another area where you need lifeguards?
3) Which of the following is not an equipment a lifeguard uses on duty?
- a) baton
- b) whistle
- c) first aid kit
- d) rescue board
4) Do lifeguards need a relevant license?
Answers to April issue
1) Examples are whales, sharks and turtles
2) Examples are donkeys and horses
4) Answers vary. An example is shiba inu (a Japanese dog). It is cute.
“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”（1 Peter 4:10)
Librarians manage the day-to-day running of the library which may be inside schools or in the community. Librarians choose books and other publications for readers. They categorize them and assist individuals in locating these materials and resources. They need to be very knowledgeable in what is appropriate and available for them to purchase for the readers.
1) Apart from books, can you name one more material you can find in a library?
2) Which of the following words means "locating" in the text?
- a) throwing
- b) buying
- c) finding
- d) copying
3) Can you complete the following word which means "appropriate" in the text?
S _ _ t _ _ le
4) Please write the name of the book which you last borrowed from the library?
Answers to the February issue
3) Examples are movies and operas
4) Examples are Donna Karen and Tommy Hilfiger
「我 們 因 著 信 、 就 知 道 諸 世 界 是 藉 神 話 造 成 的 ． 這 樣 、 所 看 見 的 、 並 不 是 從 顯 然 之 物 造 出 來 的 。」《希伯來書11:3》
“By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” (Hebrews 11:3)
Fashion designers design trendy and beautiful clothes for people. They need to be update in fashion trends and be creative. They may work in companies or as freelance designers. Some fashion designers design clothes for concerts and special performances. They may also participate in fashion shows.
1) Which of the following do fashion designers not design?
b) formal suits
c) wedding dresses
2) What is the meaning of "freelance" in the text?
d) retired ______________________________
3) Some fashion designers work for special performances, such as a drama. Can you name one more example of such performances?______________________________
4) There are many famous fashion designers in the world, can you write the name of one here? An example is Calvin Klein.______________________________
Answers to January issue:
- 1) d
- 2) Yes
- 3) b
- 4) a
A cook prepares meals for customers in a restaurant. He knows the nutritional value of foods and designs the ideal menu. He ensures that the safety rules of working in the kitchen are observed. A cook needs to be clean and fast. He should also be able to work under pressure, especially during peak hours when there are many customers ordering for food.
1) Which of the following is not considered nutrition of foods?
- a) vitamins
- b) calcium
- c) protein
- d) weight
2) Is "No smoking" a safety rule of working in the kitchen?
3) Which of the following is usually not found inside a kitchen?
- a) chopping board
- b) surfboard
- c) refrigerator
- d) sink
4) Which of the following is the name of a famous cook?
- a) Jamie Oliver
- b) Boris Johnson
- c) Natalie Portman
- d) Keira Knightley
Answers to December issue
- 1) Answers vary. Examples are the Peak and Ocean Park
- 2) Answers vary
- 3) English
- 4) Answers vary. Examples are Japan, Korea and Malaysia